Rotary in Ukraine
The first Rotary Clubs in the territory of nowadays Ukraine were registered before WWII: in Uzhgorod – in 1929; in Chernivtsi – in 1932; in Lviv – in 1935. When WWII unleashed RI made a decision to suspend Rotary Clubs activity in the occupied territories. The first post-war Rotary Club was established in Kyiv in 1991.
From 1991 to 1994 Ukraine together with all Clubs in the territory of the former USSR belonged to District 1430 (Finland). In 1994 on request of PDG 1680 (Alsace Lorraine, France) RI made a decision on District 1680 protectorate over Ukraine. Later, Ukraine was assigned to a Special enlargement zone, and Leon Logel was appointed the Plenipotentiary representative of RI President.
In November 1999 at the RI Conference in Budapest presided by RI President Carlo Ravizza there was elaborated the project that presupposed creation of a separate international District for Belarus, Poland and Ukraine on the base of existing District 2230 (Poland) from July 2000.
The first Ukrainian DG in 2002/2003 tenure was Pavlo Kashkadamov (RC Lviv). In 2007 the District was headed for the second time by a Ukrainian Rotarian – Andriy Bahanych (RC Uzhgorod). The third Ukrainian DG in 2011/2012 tenure was Myroslav Gavryliv (RC Lviv). In 2014/2015 a Ukrainian Rotarian – Olexiy Kozhenkin (RC Kyiv) - holds a DG position.
According to the RI Board of Directors decision starting July 1st, 2016 District 2230 will divide into two parts. Ukrainian and Belarusian Rotary Clubs will form District 2232.
As of July 1st. 2014 there are 46 Rotary Clubs in Ukraine and approximately 850 Rotarians.